3 ingredients for a successful email marketing campaign
Running an email marketing campaign can be a cost effective way to reach new customers, engage with existing customers and drive revenue. With limited marketing dollars in your marketing budget, a business can expect a return of $44 for every $1 spent. Develop a strong email marketing strategy by focusing on these 3 essential ingredients.
Email List Building
- Strategically place pop ups throughout your website and content asking visitors to sign up (i.e. header, footer, bottom of blog posts).
- Run a giveaway. Give away a physical or digital item for a visitor signup. Incentive customers to drive referrals via their social networks.
- Ask your customers at the point of sale if they would like to like to join your mailing list to receive offers and discounts.
- Set up an in-store signup form with a clipboard, paper and pen. Leave it in the waiting area, near the register or other strategic locations in your store.
- Provide a method and incentive for customers to leave their business card. Most business cards list an email address as a form of contact.
Email Subject Lines
- 68% of emails are opened on mobile so keep subject lines under 50 characters so readers can quickly scan them.
- Convey a sense of urgency to encourage readers to act now by using phrases like “one time offer” or “24 hours left”.
- Leverage the power of curiosity to pique the subscribers interest by using words like “How-to”, “Introducing” or “New”.
- Ask questions. Posing a question in your subject line is a good way to get subscribers to open your email and take action.
- Stay away from generic subject lines and spam words like “Free”’,“Buy” or “Guarantee”.
Email Content and Distribution
- Put your subscribers in a buying frame of mind with persuasive headlines, and valuable content. A newsletter, how-to guide and content related to the benefits of your product or service will keep them active and engaged.
- Determine a call to action by asking yourself what you want your subscribers to do (i.e. call, email, visit your website).
- Segment your list into different groups so you can target the right audience with each message. Email targeting can increase revenues by 781%.
- Broaden your reach by adding social sharing buttons and email to a friend links to your emails. Social sharing increases click- through rates by 158%.
The benefits of running and email marketing campaign are numerous and can yield great results for any business. Focus on providing value and differentiating yourself from your competitors.
Put email marketing into action for your business. Let’s get started!